Lotus has revealed further details on their new Evija all-electric hypercar in a stunning new film featuring an engineering development vehicle testing on the 2.2-mile track at Hethel. At the wheel is Gavan Kershaw, Director of Vehicle Attributes for Lotus, who provides extensive new commentary on key elements of the Evija project.
In the video, Kershaw reveals how from the earliest discussions about what the Evija should be, the goal was to create a hypercar with genuine everyday usability. He reveals new details on the progressive deployment of power and torque though the car’s five drive modes:
- Range mode is limited to 1,000PS of power and 800Nm of torque, and intelligently switches the Evija from four-wheel drive to rear-wheel drive to maximise the distance available from the battery and its intelligent power management system.
- City provides greater power control and decreases the level of regenerative braking for urban environments.
- Tour provides automatically switchable four-wheel or rear-wheel drive, delivering over 1,400PS of power with torque-vectoring.
- Sport delivers performance figures of 1,700PS and 1,700Nm linked to stability control systems to increase traction levels.
- Track mode is the most extreme, boosting power delivery to the maximum 2,000PS. It delivers the highest level of torque-vectoring with the Evija’s Drag Reduction System (DRS) available on request. The chassis setting is automatically switched to Track.
As with all Lotus cars past, present and in the future, agile handling and exceptional steering are embedded into the brand’s DNA. Kershaw explains they were among the top priorities in setting the performance characteristics of the Evija: “Lotus cars are very nimble, inspiring great confidence when being driven, and the Evija is no different to that,” he states.
The Lotus Evija marks the start of an exciting new chapter in the history of an iconic British sports car brand. With class-leading in-gear acceleration and an output of 2,000 PS – making it the most powerful series production road car ever built – it sets new standards in the global hypercar market.